The next few weeks would be full of fun times with 3 of my best friends, Pamela, Marili and Oliver who would arrive from Estonia 2 days after me. The good times would have to wait though, as I spent the first 2 days by myself enjoying some well needed rest after Utah and also some catching up one "real world" activities.
July 28 - Aug 3.
After the grand arrival of the terrible twosome from Europe, we were straight off to Tuxtla, south of Mexico for Pamela's brother's wedding. Now, we all thought that a Mexican wedding would be a busy and fun experience, but I don't think I fully appreciated what a great production it was. The family home raced with make up artists, transporting alcohol to the venue, organising frocks and suits and general wedding mayhem. Oliver and I were honoured enough to be invited by the groom on his last night out before tying the knot. he stories from that evening are not quite appropriate for this family blog....
The wedding seemed to come and go very quickly, which is hard to believe given that the party ran all the way into the daylight hours. I was honoured and proud to be part of such a great family experience and share a great time with some great friends.
| Lucky guy |
| Craig, Marili, Pam and Oliver |
| The happy bride and groom |
| A little "later" in the evening... |
| Exploring San cristobal and surrounds |
| Family photos |
So after a nice little break from the hustle and bustle of Mexico City, it was time to return for the weekend while plotting our next adventure. One thing I will say about Mexico City - it is definitely not my favourite place in the world, but it sure is interesting. So many people crammed into one city, it is remarkable how people actually manage to get around and function. It seems the place just never stops. And trying to drive around.....that's an adventure of its own.
| Safety precautions while driving in Mex City |
So after a nice and somewhat relaxing weekend in the city involving going to some traditional mexican wrestling (think Nacho Libre with Jack Black except more full on) and exploring some quieter sides of the city, it was time to hit the road again - next stop, Veracruz on the East coast.
After a nice long drive from Mexico City (the majority of which was spent just getting OUT of the city), we rolled into Veracruz and were immediately greeted by some nice, hot weather. A city on the coast, it has all the trappings of coastal life, relaxed people, fresh seafood, warm water beaches and hot sunny weather. Now I am not one to complain about weather, except when the air conditioner is broken and you are trying to sleep in 33 degrees...obviously I have spent too much time away from Australia and my hot weather coping mechanisms are failing me! So aside from the weather and beautiful scenery, we were in town to visit an old friend who Marili and I studied with in France many moons ago, Alejandra. As always, it is great catching up with old friends, hearing about their new lives (and fiances) and generally catching up over a few cold beers and nice food.
| Climbing up above Veracruz |
| Catching up over tequilas |
Back to Mexico City briefly and then off to Acapulco on the pacific coast for the weekend. Pam had done all the leg work and booked us a fantastic little house for the weekend. Lazing by the pool, on the beach and watching the famous cliff divers of Acapulco....it was a great way to spend the last weekend with friends. The weekend came and went fast and all of a sudden, our 3 week reunion had come to abrupt end. marili and Oliver were off home to Europe to continue working, Pam was staying in mexico in her job and I was about to jet off on my lonesome for Guatemala to see what I could find.
Next stop, Quetzaltenango, Guatemala.....
No comments:
Post a Comment